Saturday, August 16, 2008

Artist Study and a Little Bit of Fun

The other day I thought I'd try out these card games that I bought many years ago and had forgotten all about. I have 3 sets from Birdcage books - Van Gogh and Friends, Impressionists, and Renaissance. The game is played just like "Go Fish" just with groups of artists and their paintings. It was a big hit with my younger three ages 10 down to 5. The kids had fun trying to figure out how to pronounce French and Italian paintings along with the names of the famous painters. They were able to recognize some of them from previous years of art study - yeah!

I'm really hoping this year to cover more ground in the way of famous artists and their great works. My thoughts are to incorporate reading library books such as the Mike Venezia series, looking through our wide collection of art books and talking about their paintings, lastly I want to implement Debra's art study pages from Notebookingpages.com I also have many of those "color your own" books from Dover. We will be spending 1-2 weeks on each artist, just giving them some of the highlights. I think I will also invest in one or two more games that feature famous artists and their works. I will have 5 students in grades 7th, 5th, 3rd and K/1st. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: