Friday, September 5, 2008

BFS assignment "Oh What A Feeling"








Our assignment this week was to write about our feelings related to homeschooling, triumphs and failures, and over all emotions. For me when I first started this journey I did alot of things wrong. I sought advice but not from the right people. I didn't spend alot of time researching homeschooling and the different methods. I regret that now. I was excited and overwhelmed at the same time. I enjoyed using curriculumn like Five in a Row to read good, quality literature to my kids. That is one of the things I can say that I did do right. I'm not sure in the first few years if there were many others.

If I could do it over...I would've read those books on different methods. I would've taken a more Charlotte Mason approach to our learning. I wouldn't have pushed math or english until they were say maybe 8 or 9 years old.

Now that I am a little older and wiser in this area, I've changed my philosophies some. I try to remain calm so that no one, including mom, breaks down into tears. We do incorporate nature journals, even a little bit helps. I found it more enjoyable for the kids if we use the gentle, Charlotte Mason way of learning about great works of art and great composers. I try not to worry so much about their "academics" but to focus more on what kind of memory am I creating for my children. Is it negetive or positive for them?

I want them to look back on it as a good experience. A time where we enjoyed spending the days together learning about new things. A chance to build strong bonds between myself and my children leaving them knowing that there is nothing I wouldn't do for them.

Now after about 10-11 years of homeschooling I finally feel like I get it. We eagerly await our new books and packages as they continue to arrive even after the school year gets started.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

I agree-and finding your groove takes time. Glad to hear you have stuck it out and have found what works. Have a great new year ahead.

Anonymous said...

We are pretty laid back here also. It took me awhile not to stress out about things and I also like the CM approach

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how many of us (myself included) change philosophies as we went along. Not sure that it can be helped!!

I too love FIAR - can't walk away from it!!

Belinda
Lifestyle Homeschool

Rebecca said...

I think most of us who make it past the 10 year mark would have to admit that there are things they would have done differently. The choices we made, though, have shaped our families into what they are today. Would we really want much to change? Maybe, maybe not.

Abeka kindergarten. I would change that. That was my one "big purchase" as a new homeschool mom 12 years ago that I just had to have. It looked so wonderful at the curriculum fair! Half of the crazy thing never got taken out of its shrink wrap. I think I ended up selling it at a curriculum swap for $5 the year before we moved to Mexico!

Sigh. We live, we learn!

Have a great weekend!